I can't explain how absolutely EXCITED I am.. loud enough, hard enough, full enough... and just so busting-at-the-seams HAPPY an excited.. that this momentum is on its way.
* From a seed, knowledge will come... *
It all started when I got a note from my insurance advisor saying that he'd like to meet with me to review a renew of my life insurance policy. Straight forward - however, timing was of the essence. I had to drive all the way to the office to see him at a time that would work for both of us, in and amongst my busy schedule at the time, review my policy and decide if changes needed to be made and he could try to work me into a renewal. In hindsight, that was probably the best thing he could have done for me at that moment of my life.. and of course.. my life insurance coverage!
Life insurance.. Hmm what a concept huh? I finally hit 40, I've had a few different coverages for life insurance and had to let a few go over the years, but all in all, I knew I needed to leave something behind to those that I love and to take care of things after my leaving. So I had it.
I went into his office and sat and read my policy, from what I could understand, and listened to his reasoning for renewing NOW instead of a few years down the road when I was older, explained the difference in cost to me... but not once did he explain that I wasn't going to be covered if I didn't renew it when it was due.... I had no idea what I bought, signed for and was paying for monthly.. except the knowledge that I thought that if something happened to me in the next few years, and I died.. TK was going to have some money left to her. Not a lot either, and again, knowing what I know now - not nearly enough for her to do the things I had in my plans when I purchased it.
I was 30+, a newly single mother, and I just wanted to know that if I were to die, she would be able to pay for the costs that come at my death, and maybe something to invest for her future life that I wouldn't be there for.
My first husband and I paid for our own wedding. We got a bit of help, but it wasn't the extravagant and elaborate that little girls dream of. I borrowed my dress, we picked the sub-par site in the park we wanted to be married in, and 2 wks before the wedding, the catering company/restaurant we planned to hold our reception with, told us that we wouldn't be allowed to have any minors in the building after 9pm... so I called everyone on the list and said"It's now POT LUCK!"
Now skip ahead 10 yrs from that date, and I'm looking over my life insurance policy and worrying about the impending end of its coverage... and I'm seeing how badly that could end up if it were to end in 4 yrs. I don't plan on being dead within 4 yrs... my coverage is a small amount that isn't really based on any tangible numbers other than "Sure - I can afford that."
After that call from the insurance agent, I had some questions, and went to a local businessman and friend and asked what I was really looking at on this piece of paper, what the technical jargon meant, and how it was going to effect me and my current situation.
He came over - we looked at what I had, and we included DH in the process. I found out that my investment wasn't healthy like I thought it should be by now, and that DH and the 3 kids weren't so much as considered along our paths.... time for a change.
Now fast forward back to present day....
This past weekend, DH and I went in and completed our pre-licensing exam for Life Insurance. We passed, and we're both so proud of each other. That wasn't the simplest task I've ever done, but for the first time in a very long time, I was not afraid of failing the exam. I wanted to know what I learned...
Now, I have life insurance that covers me and the three kids, and an investment that is actually moving in an upward motion instead of slowly disintegrating because of inflation rates, potential tax implications etc... an Im on mu way to a new career to help other families and single moms (okay, other people too! lol) ... and I know that what I'm doing now is making a difference for her when she turns 18.
I can't remember how excited I was to write an exam that took many hours to write. I can't remember the last time I looked at myself in the mirror and knew in my heart that I was going to be ok... and if anything happened to me, so would TK.
Did YOU know that there are taxes AT death...? That the government wants money just because we died? I didn't. I also didn't know just how much leaving something for my daughter mattered until that moment that I moved my insurance and investment (though small) somewhere else. Somewhere that was moving my money and it was increasing instead of just sitting around for someone else to take it over.
When my mom died, I had NO idea what was in the wil. I could barely function then between new baby and caring for my mom's failing health on a daily basis. If she'd only kept up her life insurance. if shed only told us where to look to see if there was one.. something that said we could go on to try to recoup any of the costs involved when you bury someone.
My excitement is wrapped up in what I am already accomplishing. What lied beyond my horizon. And my future's so bright, i have to wear shades > :)
No comments:
Post a Comment